Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Remembering

Sometimes, I forget how truly precious life really is. My whole existence could be shattered in a day, an hour, a few minutes. Every once in a while I am reminded of this grim reality, usually when something terrible occurs. This time, it was the death of a young writer who died five days after her graduation from Yale. What is even more haunting about this particularly tragic incident is the article she had written previously for a special edition of the Yale Daily News. It spoke of a hopeful and terrifying future, but what struck me the most was her emphasis on how young people can still do whatever they want and how their lives are filled with many opportunities. It was almost too much to bear to read the article and know that the author had passed away, the same author who had said young people still have so much to look foreword to in their future. I started to feel physically sick after I finished reading the piece, I just don't understand how someone so talented and loved could be gone so early in life. However, what I do understand is that life is very short and I can't always count having a later date. I need to live now, in this moment, with every breath I take in and let out. I need to be mindful of who I am and who I want to be, so that I can live each moment completely, with few regrets. My heart and condolences go out to this beautiful young woman's family. Rest in peace, Marina Keegan.

No comments:

Post a Comment